Tangy Lemon Custard Tart (Recipe by the California Culinary Academy)
1⅔ cups whole-wheat pastry or unbleached white flour 2 Tbsp. sugar 4 Tbsp. chilled unsalted butter 1 egg white 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar 4 Tbsp. ice water Grated rind of 1 small lemon Juice of 2 medium lemons ½ cup light honey or to taste 2 eggs Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450° F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar.
3. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and grate in butter or stir in oil. With fingers or a pastry mixer, combine butter and flour mixture until it is the texture of cornmeal. Do not overmix.
4. Add egg white, vinegar, and enough of the ice water to form a ball of dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
5. In a culinary blender or food processor, combine lemon rind, juice, honey, and eggs, and puree until smooth.
6. Lightly flour a counter or breadboard. Roll ball of dough into a 14-inch circle and press into a 9-inch tart pan (preferably one with fluted edges). Pour in lemon filling.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 350° F and bake until firm and lightly browned (about 30 more minutes).